Monday, September 1, 2008

Zaida Ben-Yusuf

I was trying to catch up on reading some of my magazines and looking at the summer issue of ARTnews when I saw a short article called “Pictorialist and Pioneer, Zaida Ben-Yusuf: New York portrait photographer”. What attracted me at first was the little photo accompanying the article.
Zaida Ben-Yusuf was a professional photographer in the early 1900’s and apparently, after a brief career, disappeared from the public eye. Her work has been re-discovered by Frank H. Goodyear III and an exhibit of her photographic portraits was held at the National Portrait Gallery in Washington DC. I thought that I would definitely try to go see it, just to discover that the exhibit ended….today! It is however possible to see some images and find out a bit more on the links I am including below.
http://www.npg.si.edu/
http://www.si.edu/opa/insideresearch/articles/V16_PortraitPhotographer.html

I would love to get the catalogue written for the exhibit. I like her photographs and I would love to learn a bit more about her life.

1 comment:

Esther Aliu said...

Love your blog...
Your work is inspirational.
esther