Thursday, February 24, 2011

Beehive frames

I painted the hives. It does not matter what color is used (as long as it is light so that it does not absorb too much heat and makes it more work for the bees to keep the hive at the right temperature). Many light colors make me "unwell", so since the bees don't care, I might as well choose a color that pleases me...and I chose a light peach color. It is not quite as pink as it looks on the picture below!

I also checked out how the frames get nailed. It takes 2 nails at each corners, then 3 more to hold the wax panel (see below). So, that is 11 nails per frame, 10 frames in each box (and right now I have 2 boxes per hive) so that makes.... a lot of little nails!

Once the frame is nailed together, the bottom little slat is sliced off.


Then the sheet of wax reinforced with wire needs to be inserted in the frame. I have kept them inside so they would not be too cold and brittle to handle them. The shape of the cells is imprinted on the wax, which makes it easier for the bees to build the comb. It also makes it possible to remove the frames and harvest the honey without having to destroy the wax.

The top of the wax sheet slides in the bottom of the frame. The end of the wires is bend (bottom) and will be held in place by the little slat that was removed earlier.


The slat is nailed with 3 little nails. There is not much room and I was afraid to break the wax... I think I might have more than one bent nail like the one on the right!


Once the frame is ready, it hangs in the box.


So now, I only have 39 more frames to put together!










2 comments:

Jaye said...

Hey teacher, Martine...I just read your blog on bees! Sounds great! Our across the street neighbor has hives and we have the crape myrtles to feed them! (as well as others around) so they are very generous with their honey. I want to thank you for all you taught me...I really love the techniques you taught me...I'll try to post a picture of what I have done on my blog soon. Good luck with the hives. Jay from Texas

Martine said...

good to hear from you, Jay! I would love to see what you have been making.