Tuesday, April 29, 2008

More about inspiration

While I am talking about inspiration, I just want to mention a little book that I find invaluable, particularly when I feel a bit discouraged or insecure about what I am doing. It is called "Art & Fear, Observations On The Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking" by David Bayles and Ted Orland. Nothing better than reading a couple of pages to put things back into perspective and regain enthusiasm. For example, on page 3: "Artmaking involves skills that can be learned. The conventional wisdom here is that while "craft" can be taught, "art" remains a magical gift bestowed only by the gods. Not so. In large measure becoming an artist consists of learning to accept yourself, which makes your work personal, and in following your own voice, which makes your work distinctive."
I think anybody who works in any kind of creative endeavor should have it on their bookshelf!

No comments: