Wednesday, June 4, 2008

More than just cloth

What other fabric has more connected symbolism, emotional value and meaning than a flag?Whether we are very patriotic or not, conscious of it or not, the flag of our native nation carries a special meaning within each one of us. When a flag is used to drape the coffin of a soldier killed in action, the fabric serves as a final embrace, a final affirmation of belonging and becomes a precious relic. It is the last connection a parent or a spouse has with their loved one and that flag becomes a sacred object.

A soldier who belonged to the same unit as my husband and my son in Afghanistan (South Carolina 281th) was killed during an attack and his funeral with military honors took place two days ago. I cannot even begin to imagine what his parents and wife are feeling and, as a wife and mother myself, my heart goes out to them. Seeing how the American flag shrouded his coffin, how carefully and ceremoniously it was folded by his fellow soldiers and presented to his wife brought even more strongly to my consciousness what an important role cloth in different forms plays in our lives on a much more complex level than just to keep us warm or protect us.

Even though I did not know any of the soldiers killed during this past year my son and husband were away, each time I felt so, so deeply sad for them and for their families. Being present at the memorial service two days ago made me want more than ever to put all my heart in every stitch I make in the hope that the fabric or object I create will at some point bring comfort or happiness to someone.

No comments: