Friday, August 29, 2008

Trip to England, part 3

Life really gets crazy sometimes and it has taken me this long to finally post part 3 about my trip to England. I taught several workshops at the Festival and had a wonderful time with my students and I hope they did too. I did have a little time to take in a few lectures myself and I listened to Susan Brandeis from the University of North Carolina (strange that I had to go all that way to meet someone from my own state, whose name was quite familiar to me) and I also had a chance to listen to Maggie Gray's talk. I was excited to have the opportunity because I have admired her work for so long and own so many of her books. Both of these speakers were truly excellent and very inspirational. It seems that the use of digital imagery in art, and particularly in fiber art, is really the hot topic of the day. Even though I like designing the old fashion way with a pencil and paper, I think the technology available to us is incredible and well-worth the time and effort it takes to learn how to use it (or at least some of it!). The creative possibilities that scanners, computers and photo editing programs offer are huge and I am fully intending to keep learning and see how what I can create with digital technology will fit into my work.
In the meantime, I purchased Maggie Gray's newest book "From image to stitch". It is filled with ideas and possibilities and very inspirational.

No comments: