Sunday, August 3, 2008

Back in the studio

It has been a while since I have worked in the studio or been able to post anything but for a few days now, I have been working on a new piece. Once I decide on what style I am going to base a piece, it is so much fun and so interesting to do a bit more research about that particular style: lines, colors, symbols...Not that I am trying to remain perfectly faithful to the elements of that style but they serve as a basis for me to go on and create my own design. For this one, the Taj Mahal is such an incredible building and provides inspiration on so many levels that I decided to base my new "Offerings" piece on art from India. I searched on the Internet and also have been reading Sheila Paine's book "Embroidered Textiles" (I had mentioned it in an earlier post). I have found so much valuable and interesting information, for example on symbolism of colors (red background and the various colors used for the embroidery), of shapes (tree of life, carnation, pomegranate, birds...), all symbols that are relevant to the thoughts I want to express in my piece (and which I will talk about when the piece is further along or finished). So, I dyed the silk/coton fabric and some of the threads (the other threads were hand-dyed by my friend Nancy) and I have embroidered the first little panel (10" x 4 1/2"). And yes, it did take a number of hours. But I am quite pleased so far...except for one detail I am not sure I like: I don't know if the lines symbolizing the tree should remain black (black is one of the colors in my palette) because I feel as they are, they add too much weight to the rest of the embroidery. I will try other colors in the next panel (I don't know which yet). Any idea?

No comments: