Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Patterns

As each new box has a completely different shape, I have to make new patterns each time. Garment makers would probably have an advantage and a few useful tips on how a flat pattern can become a dimensional fabric piece.

As it is, I work with trial and error. I think of the shape I would like to get and draw a pattern that is along the lines I want. Because I have a hard time visualizing flat to volume, I make a muslin mock up of the first pattern. I know it will not be what I want but from that, it becomes a lot easier for me to see how I need to alter the pattern.
So this is what I did yesterday night. I drew my first pattern and make the mock up.



It was a good starting point to add more panels and change the shape. So on to step 2.



That was closer but still not quite the size (a bit too large) I needed and I also wanted a more accentuated shape. And there we are. I am pleased with this one and I think it will work well for that I want to do.

Now I need to decide the color and also what kind of fabric I want to use. I really would like to use cotton velveteen. It would look great there. The problem is that it is also a bit thicker than silk or cotton and because the shapes are small and there are many seams within a small area, that might be a problem. I guess the only way to find out is to try!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hi Martine,
I keep up with you through your blog. Love the final shape and can't wait to see to what it belongs. Susan