Tuesday, December 23, 2008

So much fun!

I have been having so much fun in my studio recently that I have not wanted to do anything else, not even write a new entry for this blog! I have been making small textured enamel pieces and combining them with fabrics.




After texturing the copper and enameling it (and learning the hard way that you do not put your hand in front of the torch!), I open my drawers of hand-dyed silk and velvet pieces, pull all the fabrics out until I find those that look the best with the enamel pieces (and by then my studio looks like a tornado has been through) and then figure out how to stitch the fabric and add the enamel so that it looks nice.

Not everything is great but so far I have done a few pieces I really am pleased with. I also think it is a really good practice, both working with the metal and the enamel, and combining metal pieces and fabrics. A good reminder too that as artists, we have to produce a lot of not perfect work before we get a good piece once in a while. Here is one of my favorite quotes from the little book "Art and Fear, Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking" by David Bayles and Ted Orland: "The function of the overwhelming majority of your artwork is simply to teach you how to make the small faction of your artwork that soars."

By the way, I highly recommend that book. It is wonderful reading, and particularly encouraging when you feel in the dumps.
Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

didou said...

Merry Christmas et bonne année à aussi Martine
Bisous
didou

eileen said...

hi martine,

are these the pieces you told me about? i can see why you are enjoying the process! so much opportunity for composition. they must seem 'flat' or 2D to you relative to your totally 3D pieces, even though they are more 3D than quilts. i'm sure after you make a couple dozen more you'll be happier with them!