Friday, December 12, 2008

Artspace Gallery in Arizona



I cannot believe how fast the days go by...and I have not been able to post anything in almost a month! Not that I have been idle, been teaching a lot, translating the quilting magazine and working a little in the studio. I have not started any new "Offerings" yet because I really needed to take a break after all the work and energy spent on the last one. But the new idea is beginning to boil in my head so I think I will have to start a new piece very soon. I have been playing with some little pieces involving fabrics and copper enamels and that has been lots of fun.

The highlight of these past weeks though was a quick trip to Scottsdale, Arizona, to visit the Artspace and Robert Roman Gallery, who represents my "Offerings" series. The only contact between Beverly Roman, the director of the gallery and Shirley Crane, her assistant, was by email and phone. So I felt I wanted to meet them in person and see the gallery: even though they were frantically getting ready for an exhibit opening that night, they still found time to talk to me and give me a tour of the gallery and I felt quite welcome. I love the collection of work they show in the gallery. There is a number of artists whose work is shown there whom I would love to meet because they work really touched me. The art is displayed beautifully and the space gave some very "positive" vibes, you know, when you feel good (or sometimes bad) somewhere without any rational reason for these feelings.

Anyway, I also went to the opening of the exhibit of new work by the artists working in the studios on the upper level of the gallery and it was an inspiring exhibit . So, if you ever happen to be passing through that region, the art district in downtown Scottsdale is fun and the Textures Gallery a definite place to visit.


Now, even though the Christmas season is on everybody's mind, including mine, I can't wait to get really "started" again in the studio!

No comments: