Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Amazing fiber art

I did not have a lot of time at the Fair to visit many booths but there were a few people whose work I definitely wanted to see again. One fiber artist in particular, Vicki Essig. Her work is extremely original and beautifully done. At the Fair each small weaving, caught in an opening cut in white mat board is held between glass and framed in a sleek shadow box made of dark wood , which really enhances the fiber. Because there is nothing but space behind the weaving, its transparency is very obvious.

If white symbolizes purity, it certainly is a fitting color here. The incredibly thin silk filament are woven into a gossamer fabric, which provides a canvas for other symbolic and visual elements. I find that each piece can pull me into an almost meditative state. The fiber trapped in glass looks like it could blow away at any moment. So much movement in complete stillness.

One of her piece would not get out of my mind...and I took it as a sign that it needed to come home with me. It did.
The little weaving is 3" x 5" and my snapshot is far from doing it justice.

Vicki's work can be seen at Ariel Gallery in Asheville, NC.

(Ariel Craft Gallery19 Biltmore AvenueAsheville, North Carolina28801
HoursTuesday-Sunday 11-6
Phone: 828.236.2660)

No comments: