Monday, May 19, 2008

Accepting rejection

Oh, that's a tough one! I had entered two pieces in an art quilt exhibit scheduled for the end of summer 08 in VA and just found out that both pieces were rejected. I used to be absolutely devastated when I entered a show and was rejected. It felt that I had put my whole being into my work and so, it was not only the work that was being rejected but me. Of course, that was a naive way of seeing things and I have since realized that there are so many factors that play into acceptance or rejection: assuming that all the images have "professional" quality, how many entries (i.e. images) do the jurors have to go through and where are your images in that lot, within the first 100 or the 500th?, how does the work fit into the theme (if there is a theme is), would your work fit with the rest of the exhibit and last but not least what is the juror's personal taste? So, now am I devastated? No. Am I disappointed? You bet!

No comments: