Sunday, May 3, 2009

Gold Jewelrry in Dubai

I talked about the gold embroidery I saw in Dubai in my last post and while we are on the subject of gold, here is something else that was really incredible. Dubai has a gold souk (market) and there are over 300 stores next to each others that sell gold jewelry. It is also known as the city of gold and there are many other jewelry stores all over the city. From what I gathered from our guide, most of the filigree jewelry is from India and is traditionally associated with brides and marriage. The price depends on the course of gold at the stock markets so it varies. Haggling is also expected from potential customers. The work is so intricate is looks almost like embroidery. My photos are not very good but at the bottom of this post is a link I found on line that has better images to give you an idea of what we saw.






These images are from shop windows in town.

Yes, that's me drooling!

The brown archway with the red neon sign (course of gold of the day) is the entrance to the gold souk. And no, my shopping bag is not filled with gold!
That is inside the gold souk.
And this is John, my husband, patiently waiting while I look! Actually, he was as much in awe as I was.

No comments: