Saturday, March 21, 2009

Beadwork for new Offering

In order not to get bored with one thing, I try to work on different parts of each piece in turns. I may work on the necklace during the day because it is easier in daylight and at my desk and work on the embroidery at night. Sometimes, it feels a bit stressful because I have all these parts in progress and nothing really done, but in the long run, it really keeps my interest alive.


So most of the last few days, I have been working on beading the necklace for my new "Offering" piece. I don't think I have mentioned what the concept for this one is. It is called "Keeper of Seeds" and is a reminder how precious seeds are, whether real plant seeds, or metaphorical seeds in our thinking, creativity, etc. The "rose window" design is actually based on a macro photo of a seed pod. I traced the main lines of the photographed pod and shrunk the tracing to the size I need. So, even if no one knows and if it is not obvious, the concept of seed is really an integral part of my design. The freeze below the rose window is also based on a seed pod. (See my post from February 13 to see images of the drawing).

So back to my necklace, I took the rose window design and combined several copies of it to get to the necklace shape I wanted. This part is embroidered on fabric. The rest of the necklace (cord part) will be beaded in a different way. I am pretty excited too because I figured out how to use some of the cut stones that my husband had sent a few weeks ago from Afghanistan.

No comments: