Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A different kind of art

Some days ago, my son David came down to the studio and said he had a question for me: would I help him simplify and modify a design that he wanted to have tattooed on his arm. Now you have to understand to when they were small, I always told my sons that I did not mind earrings, long hair but please no tattoo. When he became a young adult, David decided that he did want a tattoo. In the end, that is fine with me. When I think of it, body art has been used for hundreds of years all over the world, often carrying some kind of meaning. I think I am getting over the stigma that tattoos had when I grew up and can look at them, at least some of them, with an appreciation for lines and design. So, I said yes. I was really very flattered that David would ask me and I was happy to work on the design with him. It was fun. He had chosen a very stylised wolf head and we had to simplify some of the internal lines and work something out for the bottom of the design, which was flat in the original version. So here it is, on the arm of my beautiful son.


No comments: